Saturday, June 2, 2012

Emmanuel and Kennedy showing me around Dar.

Me and Christina, the Deputy Country Director for HKI Tanzania.  She just went back to DC for maternity leave.

Upon arrival at the Mwanza airport...our airplane was bigger than the ones in the background.

The Mwanza airport.  

Lake Victoria from a hotel window.  Such a beautiful view!

I couldn't resist a bike picture.  This was in one of the villages where we  held one of the discussions for the orange-fleshed sweet potato endline study.  The building is for their community bank.

They had such a lovely, little village.  This is a community meeting space under construction.  We stood at one point in the village and a guy pointed out 3 different churches...all beautiful, open brick buildings.  

A nice lady gave us a tour of some of their fields.  

They wanted to pose with the cassava.  I had a nice talk with Alex Patrick in the striped shirt.  Thankfully he spoke good English because my Kiswahili is still lacking.

He broke open some sorghum for me to see.  It's beautiful and they add it to one of their staple foods called  "ugali", which is made of corn meal.  

Margaret speaking with the women from the village.  

I just love that it says "Saloon"  :)  So cute.  Who knew they had saloons in rural Tanzania?  



I just loved this tree.  I'm obsessed with all of the different , magnificent trees here.  Will  try to take pictures of as many as possible.  

The sign behind me says, "Quality Vines, Better Harvest."  They were part of the orange-fleshed sweet potato project.

This is rural Tanzanian fast food.  There were fruits, corn on the cob, bags of popcorn and boiled peanuts.  All really healthy.  

The peanuts were purple!  Delicious!

Coke is EVERYWHERE!!!

Zebras on the Serengeti as we flew by on the highway.  

I should have asked the driver to stop so I could get a better picture, but hopefully I'll get to go back.  

Students on their way home.  I'm constantly amazed that  we don't hit pedestrians.

3 comments:

  1. Purple peanuts, the long arm of Coke and zebras! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm glad you get to experience this. Keep up the good blog work - perhaps you could write a book about this when you get back. Love, Auntie M

    ReplyDelete